Where provided, the PCR test for COVID-19 must have been performed within the last 72 hours and the test using rapid COVID-19 antigen (rapid test) must have been performed within 48 hours of the realization of any event for which the presentation of a certificate is required.
Their certificate: a) must have been issued by a reference laboratory in public or private and b) must include the name of the person as it appears on the identity card or passport.
Issuance and duration of disease certificate
The disease certificate is issued:
after laboratory test by PCR for COVID-19, within 14 days after the first positive test, especially for fully vaccinated and positive control using rapid antigen detection COVID-19 (rapid test)
Disease certificate validity
- The validity of the disease certificate lasts up to 90 days after the only or first positive test.
- Specifically, disease certificates issued from 5.7.2021 to 31.10.2021 either after laboratory testing by PCR or after testing using COVID-19 rapid antigen (rapid test) remain valid for up to 180 days after the first positive test and however not beyond 31.1.2022
- The validity of the disease certificates issued from 1.11.2021 to 4.12.2021 either after laboratory test by PCR method or after test using COVID-19 rapid antigen detection (rapid test) lasts 90 days
- If a repeat PCR test is performed after 90 days plus one day and is positive, no disease certificate is issued
Employers must check all the illness certificates of the employees based on the above, given that every week the responsible rapid test declaration is submitted to ERGANI and must be extended by them if the employee meets the conditions for not performing a rapid test.
When is the absence of an employee due to coronavirus disease legal?
In order to be legally absent from work due to illness from COVID-19, it is sufficient to confirm a positive test using the rapid detection of COVID-19 antigen (rapid test).
ATTENTION: the above refers to the absence from work, not to the conditions for issuing a certificate of illness or obtaining a sick leave by a doctor submitted to EFKA.
Coronavirus sick leave
- FULLY VACCINATED EMPLOYEE: The result of the positive Rapid test that has been performed in a public structure, diagnostic center, microbiological laboratory or pharmacy is sufficient. Positive pcr is not excluded but not required.
- UNVACCINATED EMPLOYEE: Positive pcr or Rapid test performed in a public facility, diagnostic center, microbiological laboratory or pharmacy performed in a public facility, diagnostic center, microbiological laboratory or pharmacy.
COVID-19 is considered a disease, with the consequence that it is governed by the provisions of articles 657 and 658 of the Civil Code, according to which the employee is entitled to sick pay under the terms and conditions set by those provisions, given that he is disabled to work for a great reason that is not due to his fault.
During sick leave the employee can not work in any way.
Prescription of sick leave
In order to be accepted for a sick leave that receives approval at a later time from the competent services of EFKA, a medical certificate is required stating that the employee tested positive for molecular test or rapid test covid-19 on that date, as well as the symptoms that appear the patient (fever, severe cough, difficulty breathing).
This medical report should recommend a home restraint for an employee who tested positive for COVID-19, and should indicate the days of sick leave granted to him or her.
The disease is prescribed through the intangible prescription by a private doctor contracted with EOPYY or a doctor of public structure.
ATTENTION: if the symptoms persist, the doctor determines the period of sick leave required for the employee to recover.
Submission of sick leave to EFKA
The sick leave is submitted electronically by the employee to EFKA, it is accepted electronically by the employer and the sickness allowance is issued by EFKA, which the employee grants to the employer in order to make the required registrations in the payroll.
Therefore, when the employee submits the required documents electronically to EFKA, you must inform the accounting department in order to make an electronic acceptance on behalf of the employer.
Link for instructions for electronic sick leave: https://www.efka.gov.gr/el/epidoma
People with Sars Cov-2 infection: Isolation (according to EODY guidelines)
• Stay in isolation for at least 5 days and avoid contact with other people.
• If there are no symptoms or the symptoms after the five days of fever are reduced – discontinue isolation. If the fever persists without other symptoms, prolong isolation in the home.
• Mandatory use of high respiratory protection mask (N95 or KN95 FFP2) or double mask for at least another 5 days.
Persons who came in contact with a confirmed case, according to law 4722/2020 ART 15
Article 15 of N.4722 / 2020 stipulates: “an employer, who employs an employee who is placed in restriction, in the framework of preventive control measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, in accordance with the official recommendations of EODY, may:
a) determine by decision that the work provided by that worker, at the place of work provided for in the individual contract, will be carried out by the system of distance work; or
b) if it is not possible to apply the distance work to employ the employee, according to the needs of the company, beyond his daily contractual hours, by one (1) hour per day, on other working days, from the end of his restriction employee until the completion of half the hours corresponding to the working days of stay at home.
The time provided for replacement is not counted as overtime or overtime work, in case of full-time employment, nor as additional work, in case of part-time work. The employee is not entitled, at the time of filling the half-working hours corresponding to the period of stay at home, to any increase or remuneration for additional work. In any case, the relevant protective provisions of the labor legislation for the working time limits of the employees must be observed.
The employer normally pays for the period of stay at the employee’s home all the remuneration and insurance contributions. It is clarified that this medical opinion due to the restriction of the domestic worker in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus is not a sick leave but a measure to prevent the spread of covid-19.
Quarantine for people who came in close contact with a case, according to the new instructions of EODY
- For vaccinated and booster dose: Use a high respiratory protection mask (N95 or KN95 or FFP2) or a double mask for 10 days and perform a laboratory test (PCR or Rapid Antigen Test) on the 5th day of exposure.
- For people vaccinated with 2 doses or 1 dose for the J&J vaccine or unvaccinated:
- • Stay at home for 5 days and avoid contact with other people.
- • On the 5th day perform a laboratory test (PCR or Rapid Antigen Test).
- • After day 5, use a high respiratory protection mask (N95 or KN95 or FFP2) or a double mask for at least another five (5) days.
In case of symptoms or a positive laboratory test, individuals in the QUARANTINE category (close contacts) are transferred to the ISOLATION category (covid disease 19) and apply the relevant instructions for granting sick leave.
Parents leave due to coronavirus disease of their children.
Parents working in case of COVID-19 disease, of their children, infants, toddlers and infants, primary and secondary school students, as well as children attending special schools or special education and training units, regardless of their age, as well as persons with disabilities, who, regardless of their age, benefit from open care services for people with disabilities, are entitled to use a special leave for children’s illness for 14 days or for a longer period if this is deemed necessary with a medical opinion or in case of hospitalization of a child.
This leave is granted in addition to other leave relating to illness or childcare.